Washington County Soil & Water Conservation District
Tree & Shrub FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will my seedlings last if I don’t plant them right away?
- Up to 2 weeks in a cool, dark place.
- After that heel into a trench for up to one growing season.
Should I fertilize my trees?
Yes, slow release tablets work best for young seedlings:
- 1 tablet per 1/4 ״ stem diameter, placed approximately 2 ״ deep and 3-4 ״ away from seedling
- or 3-4 oz. of commercial 10-10-10 or 15-15-15 can also be used several inches out from stem.
What far apart should I plant my trees?
Varies with species and intended use:
- Windbreak or border – 2-4′
- Christmas trees – 5-7′
- Large shade trees – 8-16′
- Evergreen forest plantation – 8-12′
- Wildlife plantings – random spacing ranging from 4-12′
How long does it take them to reach a certain size?
Depends on species, soils and site conditions.
What should I plant for a windbreak or border?
Depends on site and soil conditions, and if you prefer long or short needles.